Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Salad ingredient found in the back of the fridge:)

Happy Tuesday everyone!

Did you have a great weekend with your family, especially your mom? Well, if you are like me, my mom doesn't live in the same town so it was a simple phone call (and a card sent earlier in the week) for me! I know she was a bit lonely but I reminded her we would be visiting in 2 weeks and that made her a bit more chipper:) Other than my Sunday call home, my weekend was pretty lazy I must say. I worked both days and after that I had very little motivation or energy! So, it was just the usual - work, grocery shop, clean, coffee. Ry is almost done school which means we are moving back to the coast soon! Right now all I want to do is to move back because we finally get to live in our new house we bought 9 months ago. Yet, I really like the lifestyle and easy vibe that Nelson is all about. I know I'm going to hate the traffic and busyness but I'm planning on spending a lot of time in the woods this summer so I won't go through major withdrawals right away..lol! We have moved so much since we got together 4 years ago its not even funny! So, moving back to OUR house is such a relief because we can finally settle down and make the house a home!

On the Transformation Contest front, I just wanted to thank you all for your loving and supportive comments! Wow, I didn't expect such love in return and I'm feeling truly blessed! So, Thank you from the bottom of my heart:)

Things are going pretty well! I've been making a food journal and have been really conscious about eating. Am I really hungry?, when will I have time to eat next?, can I make it a more healthier choice?..etc! And I've really noticed something...I am a comfort eater and I have these thoughts that I should eat more so that I physically feel stuffed. I've been working on eating until I am satisfied and so far its been okay (I am very determined so that helps). I am not saying it has been easy...no change is easy right away, but I want to train myself to feel comfortable when I am satisfied..not when I'm unbuttoning my pants! So, I'm learning a lot and there is already change in my body, no joke! I don't own a scale, but by the feel of my jeans I'm down some inches which is pretty cool. I even made a fun cover for my workout journal. I got the idea from Shannonmarie who created a notebook to help keep her cupcake recipes handy. Thank you Shannonmarie!

I took a bunch of old magazines I had laying around and cut out inspiring words. I just taped them to the front. Well, the hubby helped tape them to the front. Ever tried doing a craft project with your loved one?....well, let's just say it strengthens the relationship...lol!

As for the food portion of it all, I'm keeping it pretty basic. I eat a lot of veggies and fruit, a small amount of grains ( mainly quinoa), lots of sprouts, Vega, lentils, nuts and seeds, and lots of healthy foods in between! If you want to check out my food journal you can do so by going to fitday.com and I'm under contagioushealth. For workouts, I'm going to be doing bodyweight workouts only for the next 4 weeks because my gym pass expired and I'm not paying $68 for a month. Doesn't that seem like a crazy price to you? To me it's insane for one month at the gym! I'm used to paying between $20-$40 a month so I just couldn't fork over the dough for the last 4 weeks, and besides, its getting so gorgeous out and who wouldn't want to workout with this view?...


The beach...not me..lol!

As I'm always on the hunt for great, nutritious salad ingredients, I couldn't believe that there was a wonderful food hanging out in the back of my fridge. No, its not a new craze to eat moldy kale! It's all about the picked beets!! Have you tried them? like/dislike? I literally grew up with everything pickled -cukes, beans, carrots, beets, cabbage and I'm always raiding my grandma's pantry for something in a jar when I'm there visiting! When I was looking for something else to jazz up my salad yesterday I was so shocked to find the pickled beets shoved to the back of the fridge, how dare me! I immediately brought forth the jars and opened one up! Yumm!! My mom knows how to treat those beets right I tell ya! I began scooping them out of the jar ever so carefully as beets = stains and added them to my salad. Oh yum! These were so delicious mixed with my romaine, carrots, sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, and even the avocado that was hiding in there!

MMMmmm..the taste it brought to this salad was amazing and I loved how it stained my miso dressing pink:)

Oh the goodness! Seriously I could eat salads for every meal..yumm! Oh and here is someone who does actually eat them for breakie!


I know what I'm having for dinner! Have a wonderful rest of your day. I'm off soon to run to the beach and do my workout. It's hard to workout in public but with my tunes on and a lake to look at, I should be okay!

PS the lovely Averie is having a chia seed giveaway! You know you want some! This contest ends tomorrow (May 12th)

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved reading through your older posts! I'm a new reader and just getting caught up. I really liked your idea of including the inspirational words. Keep up the great work!

Lori said...

I LOVE salad!! Thanks for the shout-out! What a great looking salad you have there! What is the dressing????

And good job on the workout! I love your workout journal! Such a great cover... this way you're motivations are RIGHT there in your face!
:)

Lauren said...

Congrats on your success Melissa! Its exciting that you are already seeing a difference in the way your clothes fit. I'm so happy for you.
By the way, both you AND the beach are gorgeous in that picture!
I'm jealous- I pay around 60 dollars a month for my gym membership and I thought that was cheap. Where are you finding these places that are 20-30 dollars a month? Thats such a great deal.
Your salad looks delicious. I don't eat a lot of beets. Like you say, they are so messy. I might eat them if I don't have to prepare them myself haha. I love the look of them in that salad with all the other yummy ingredients..so good. I've been known to have salad for breakkie once in a while.
I'm glad you will get to see your mom soon..I didn't see my mom on mother's day either but I think its okay to celebrate it a little later. Why not, right?

Melissa said...

Hey Kileedanielle- Welcome!Thank you for reading my posts!Thank you for the support, I really appreciate it!

Hey Lori - Your welcome for the shout-out! Glad you liked my workout journal cover...and yes, I need it in my face!
As for the dressing on my salad...its a secret..for your guest post my dear..lol!

bitt said...

I have just started a food journal too. To look for triggers for pain, make sure my eating is balanced, etc.

I am not too big of a beet fan. I added some to kraut and it just dyed everything red.

Nelly said...

hey baby cakes...great post!!!

i love salad...gosh, i probably could eat a salad for breakfast, but my boss would think i've gone mad...haha! i think she already thinks i'm weird because i always bring my lunch and refuse to buy from the food court...haha!!

you're so lucky to have a beach by you...oh what i would give! have you started sending john any messages yet? remember you were going to try to convince him to move the b.c.? hehe!!!

anywho...love the pic of you and the beach...you're such a beautiful girl...and your smile is like sunshine!!!

OH AND I HEART BEETS AND PICKLED ANYTHING!!!! my mom makes a lot of preserved stuff too...her cantina (italian for cold cellar) is to die for!!! feel free to drop in and take a few jars!!!

have a beautiful night friend!

<3

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

thanks for the link on the chia!

as for the gym membership. I think $40ish is about "avg" for many places but I used to belong to a gym in San diego, granted it was 5 stars and more like a country club, but it was about $200 a month. Seriously though, amazing. You could live there :)

Being close to your mom and the whole story you told me....so great that things have come full circle!
xo

kelli said...

hi melissa!

cute journal idea. i know what you mean about doing projects with your spouse... it seems to be the only time john and i disagree. (i like it done right, he likes it done quick!=)

i LOVE pickled beets. they always make a salad 1,000 times yummier. beet greens are yummy too. the bugs in my yard agree!

HiHoRosie said...

Fun post Melissa! And YOU make the beach all the more beautiful. :) It's a great pic of you and the beach. Salad = yummers! You made me chuckle at the craft part...it makes the relationship stronger (ha ha), anyway, I prefer doing crafts by myself just zoning out. Obviously, these days not something I do much of :( Anyway, lovely post. I'm excited for your move back and getting settled into your home. xo

shannonmarie said...

I love being crafty, especially when it inspires others to do the same. Nice work. Thanks for the shout out.

Yummy salads! We really are on the same wavelength. I like the pickled stuff, too.

Katie said...

Yum, I love beets! Making up a good, nutritious salad is so satisfying.

Melissa said...

Hey Lauren - Thank you for being so sweet about my results and my beach pict..you are too sweet! There are a few gyms that are in that price range but there are so many gyms in langley that they all are competing for the business. The women's gym I used to go to was around $15 a month..ya, crazy I know. I need to try having a salad breakfast! It's totally okay to celebrate mom later and I feel sometimes its better because you don't have to deal with all the crowds:)

Hey Bitt - let us all know how the food journaling goes. I found it really helps and I'm sure it would be even more beneficial to find triggers. Beets are crazy in the coloring department..it would make for some interesting kraut I'm sure!

Hey Nelly - Thank you lovely! That's funny that she thinks its funny you bring your own food..you should win her over with a moonie pie lol!
John doesn't read my blog..geesh! LOL I'm just joking! Just leave up a beach pict on the comp one day and slowly you can brain wash him..lol
Thank you for you sweetness about my beach pict:)
An Italian Cantina...where and when! I'm so there. Love it!

Hey Averie - your welcome for the link love:) $200 a month wowza! I would love to see a place like that. Do i need to walk in wearing my white tennis skirt lol? Thank you for writing about my mom story too:)

Hey Kelly - HAHA I'm so glad it's not just us who argue when it comes to the arts project. Afterwards all I could do was laugh..we were semi-arguing about tape..lol! Yes, guys are all about finishing the art stuff quick..not I! Yay for pickled beets! The bugs know whats good hey? the fight is on!

Hey Heidi - You make me blush! Thank you for your sweet words! I love doing art projects on my own too...lol! I love the zoning out part too! I'm so excited to move back..and thank you:)

Hey Shannonmarie - Your welcome for the shoutout! Glad you like the pickle stuff too. Come over for lunch anytime:)

Hey Katie - Oh I know ..I love building the salads..so fun:)

Kris | iheartwellness.com said...

Ohhh yum! This salad looks delish! I love when all the leaves are covered in tasty dressing ;)

Isn't it fun when you find things you forgot your bought!

I agree if you can workout or run outdoors in nicer weather, definitely take that up!

XXOO