Thursday, January 27, 2011

Breakfast chocolate protein pudding

Hello all!!

       Happy Thursday to you!! Hope you are having a great week. I feel like I'm just going with the flow and so nothing too interesting has rocked my world.

Do you find this time of year to be pretty mellow for you? I sure do! The weather isn't the greatest, the bills are rolling in, and there isn't going to be any good movies until Spring! Okay hopefully that last one isn't true. But I can definitely feel spring is not too far away. The temperatures are warming up and we have actually seen the sun for an hour this week..woot woot!

Plus at work we are about to order our seeds for this years garden project. Very excited!!! We are expanding our garden space too so that's going to be a lot of fun.

But now onto something that has been missing from this blog in the last while...FOOD! Seriously I've been terrible at taking pictures but I've been eating the same foods over and over so that's not too exciting. Yet, last night I got a spark of creativity sweep over me as I was getting bored with my usual breakfast of late, Vega Vanilla Chai smoothie. It was time for a protein pudding!!

I kept it simple...

1 banana
1 tablespoon Chia Seeds, ground to a powder
1-2 tablespoons raw chocolate powder
1/2 -1 scoop Vanilla Chai Vega
 A smidgen of coconut cream

Here's a little nutrient breakdown for the whole deal (if you care!):

Calories: 384
Total fat: 13 grams
Total Carbs : 42 grams
Dietary Fibre: 15 grams
Sugars: 15 grams
Protein: 20 grams


Place the banana in a food processor and process until nice a smooth. Add in the chia seed powder (this creates the pudding-like consistency). Add in the coconut cream ( I placed a can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight and then scooped the top solidified cream). Finish off with the raw chocolate powder and the Vega. Add water to get your desired consistency

As you may already know, chia is sometimes used in baking as an egg replacer because it gels up. Well, it will do the same in this recipe so you will definitely need to add the water. Just an FYI.

Super delicious! The flavors all combine really well and it's a great, healthy breakfast or snack. The texture was pretty good, even Miss-can't-eat-oatmeal-because-it's-texture-makes-me-gag, was smiling! Now I know what all the talk is about when it comes to protein puddings:)

Next up...VOO..well, maybe! I've been tempted lately. Maybe that's a sign my gag reflex has been tamed or maybe it's all the subliminal images from Angela's creations floating around in my head.We shall see.

Have a great day everyone!! Friday is almost here:)



XOXO

6 comments:

HiHoRosie said...

Ooh, yum yum! And just a smidgen of coconut cream, eh? ;)

Kris | iheartwellness.com said...

Hi Beautiful!!

What a powerful nutritious breakfast! You had me at chocolate...for breakfast. I just love it!

K, so isn't it amazing to be in flow???

xxoo

Melissa said...

Hey Heidi - Yep just a smidgen LOL! Or you can make it a dollop:)


Hey Kris - chocolate for breakfast is indeed one of life's great pleasures lol. And yes being in the flow is great!!

Hayley said...

This sounds so good! I am a huge fan of Vega and of chia puddings. I love the gel consistency of chia seeds, and I've tried to make vega "cookie dough" before just by mixing a few drops of water with a scoop of it. It is pretty good as just a quick snack, but I like your idea for a super filling breakfast :)

bitt said...

chocolate is a great way to start the day! yum.

Anonymous said...

You'll have to tell me how that Amazing Grass powder is - I was thinking of getting some!

Torri