Saturday, April 3, 2010

Banana Almond butter choc-o-late recipe!

Happy Saturday everyone!


Hope everyone is enjoying time with their families this weekend:) We are away from both of our families but we will get to see them soon...June 1st is coming up my friends. I'll post more about our big move as the date gets closer.

Anywho...I want to keep this post brief as a girls gotta eat lol! And who doesn't want to eat chocolate? me, me,me! I already told you guys about the amazing Superfood Bon Bons from Meghan's site that I made on Friday.


Need I say more?

Yet, I wanted to keep this cacao train a rollin' so yesterday the hubby and I came up with a delicious chocolate recipe containing some fresh banana and a dabble of almond butter. These chocolates are a little of everything AWESOME- a touch of sweetness, a little bit of richness, a wee bit of chewy goodness. But you don't take my word for it....you HAVE to try these! They are beyond easy to make and of course you can improvise with whatever nut butter of fruit you have on hand.

I made the chocolate the same way I did with the Superfood Bon Bons. I scooped 1/2 cup of coconut oil and had 1/2 cup raw cacao powder standing by. I then added equal amounts of each (I added a tablespoon at a time) plus a 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup to a double boiler set on very low heat until I had enough chocolate to add a teaspoon to the ice cube tray. You can keep melting the coconut oil and cacao until you fill all the molds if you like, I just melted enough for 7 chocolates. That's right I used the old plastic kind because I was desperate and no stores were open when I made these. I also used these for the bon bons. Not the best option but it did the trick. As for the sweetener..its what I had on hand so I thought I would experiment. Check out Bitt's chocolate adventures...her little experiments look awesome:) I let it freeze for about 15-20 minutes. Then we scooped in about 1/2 teaspoon almond butter. Of course you could use any nut butter in these chocolates. I know I'm going to try others:) Finally we topped the almond butter with small chunks of fresh banana. The mixture was covered with more melted chocolate and then placed in the freezer for roughly 20 minutes


If you don't like banana use whatever fruit appeals to you! You could add the banana first then the almond butter, if you wish. It all depends on what you want to bite into first...fruit or gooey goodness! That's the beauty of making your own chocolate...you have so much choice and don't have to make something that you don't like. For me, I won't make chocolate that has orange flavor in it. I don't know I just never was a fan of that flavor combo.

On to some foodie picts...




Here's one beauty ready to have chocolate poured all over her...yum!


Here's a little action shot! Look at all that chocolate on that spoon!



Here's one out of the freezer...mmm! You could always puree the banana if you want to have a more prettier product:)

I enjoyed every single piece and I was so amazed that they were homemade. So, if you are looking for some quick Easter chocolate eats, give these a try!

Banana Almond Butter Chocolates

1/2 cup raw cacao powder ( I had this on hand but I'm sure dutch processed would be fine)
1/2 cup coconut oil
1-2 teaspoons maple syrup or preferred sweetener
1/4 banana, cut in small chunks
1/4 cup almond butter or nut butter of choice


Melt the coconut oil and cacao powder on low heat a tablespoon at a time. Add in 1/2 teaspoon of maple syrup. Taste to see if it is sweet enough for you, add more if you want them sweeter. Once melted, add a teaspoon to each mold. Melt enough coconut oil and cacao powder to fill the amount of molds you desire. Place the mold in the freezer until solid. Remove from the freezer and add in a couple chunks of banana and a 1/4 teaspoon (or more) almond butter. Top this with more melted chocolate and place in the freezer until solid. Then enjoy!


Have a very wonderful Easter Sunday!

Don't forget to enter my giveaway for Meghan Telpner's 5 Days Healing With Everyday Superfoods. The last day to enter is April 6th at Midnight. So go on and enter!




11 comments:

kelli said...

yummmm!!!

bitt said...

i loooove almond butter and chocolate. with banana? great idea!

yummy yum yum.

Melissa said...

Thanks Kelli and Bitt! They are beyond yummy! I'm loving making my own chocolate:)

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

love this post, Melissa! So good and EASY...love that!
and i am not a fan of orange in my choc, either.

thx for all your entries, too! :)

HiHoRosie said...

Yummy! Looks great! And I love banana with chocolate too.

Melissa said...

Hey Heidi!
Glad you like my chocolate combo!!

Hey Averie!- I'm glad you like my easy recipe. YAY I'm not the only one who doesn't like those chocolate orange things you smash against the wall:)You are welcome for the contest entries..I've got my fingers crossed lol!

shannonmarie said...

Delicious!

Melissa said...

Thank you Shannonmarie and thanks for putting in an entry for the contest. I'm just starting to use maca and love everything it does:)

Nutritious Foodie said...

wow these definately sound and look awesome :)

Melissa said...

Thank you nutritious foodie:)

Katie said...

I can't believe I didn't see this before. Maybe its a good thing, because this would have definitely been #7 on our list yesterday!