Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A legend and some prayers

Happy Tuesday all!

         Hope you had a wonderful weekend! My weekend was a difficult one.

My grandma ended up in the hospital Saturday afternoon. It is still unclear what is going on with her and she remains in the ER unit. She has Alzheimer's but no other serious health condition. It was very difficult being in the hospital as she has become quite aggressive so they have her in restraints. She is my only grandma and so it's terrible watching this disease take her away from me. Yet, when I visited she still made us laugh with her wit and humour!

I will do a future post on Alzheimer's as I would like to share the latest research. Anyone have any loved ones who are going through this terrible disease please chime in, I'm all ears! Oh and lots of prayers are needed too:)

Love you Grandma!!!

Now onto another legend! Jack Lalanne, the fitness godfather, passed away this week at the age of 96. What a true inspiration this fella was!

  • In 1936 at the age of 21 he opened the first health club in the United States


  • In 1951 he was asked to do a local exercise show. Well he was so popular that his TV show went national. His show aired Monday I'm sure our parents and grandparents knew him well!!


Check out this clip!! This man was so ahead of his time it's crazy!!

  • In 1954 at the age of 40 he swam the entire length of the Golden Gate Bridge underwater with 140lbs of equipment attached to him.
  • In 1955 he swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman's Wharf while handcuffed!
  • In 1956 he set a world record of 1,033 pushups in 23 minutes...I'm without words!!


You might know him best (if you are from my generation) through his famous Power Juicer. And of course those infomercials that drew you in through his contagious energy and enthusiasm. Yep, even my mom and I caught the bug! In fact, I am still using that juicer today..and it's great!

He went on to do so much for health and fitness it would take me a week to blog about it!!





Cheers to you Jack!! Thank you for inspiring a world to get moving and to drink their veggies!!!
You will be truly missed!!



The food you eat today will make you what you are tomorrow.So, if man makes it don't eat it. And if it tastes good, spit it out. ~Jack Lalanne




5 comments:

bitt said...

I've had way too many family members with alzheimers or dementia. cruel disease. the best we can do is make sure they are happy and comfortable. keep in mind you may have to grieve for them before they are really gone, which can be hard because we are so used to doing that only when people pass on.

wonderful tribute to jack!

Angela (the diet book junkie) said...

i'm so sorry to hear about your grandma, your family will be in my prayers for sure.

Melissa said...

Hey Aimee - You are so right!! We do have to grieve them before they are gone which is one of the biggest things me and my family are struggling with. Terrible, terrible!

Hey Angela -Thanks hun I appreciate it:)

Laury @The FitnessDish said...

Hey Melissa,

I can so relate to you with your grandmother. First off, I am so sorry you are going through this. Hugs, thought, prayers and positive energy sent your way.

My grandmother was diagnosed with dementia and Alzheimer's about 4 years ago. It's a terrible disease and we slowly lost her over the past few years. It was a long mourning process. Not sure if you read, but she passed away right after Christmas. I can not say her disease made her passing any easier. But it was hard enough over the past few years not having my grandmother "there" anymore.

I hope she pulls through and is strong. There are no comforting words anyone can say with this disease. Just that I understand what you are going through, and am sending you a ton of love xxoo

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. My thoughts and prayers are with you.