Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What did your groundhog see?


Well, not YOUR groundhog, per se, or do you have one? Cool...I think. I'm really talking about the furry weather forecaster who comes out of his cave on Feb.2 and either sees his shadow..or not. Well, the Canadian hog, Wiartin Willy, saw his shadow. Apparently we are in for 6 more weeks of winter. His buddies to the east and the south also saw their shadows, so its unanimous! Yet, I think these forecasters have forgotton one key element-global warming. At the coast they are wearing shorts, shorts!! Even in Nelson its been abnormally warm, I think even weather records may have been broken. There is no evidence that we even had a winter, no snow piles or streets with tons of gravel (watch out winshield!). It really is crazy. I'm not sure if you know but Vancouver, BC is holding the Winter Olympics this year..in about 5 days actually. Now, Whistler and the surrounding mountains just didn't get enough snow so they have to truck it in from Washington State. My friend today actually just saw two huge trucks full of snow heading towards the mountains. Hello,big bucks! This is actually humorus because last year we had record snowfall at the coast. My car remained buried for a week. It was a winter wonderland and an absolutely wonderful season for the ski hills. Now, if you have visited or lived on the west coast at all, you know Vancouver rarely gets snow, at least not in the city itself. So, I bet you the Olympic committee is really hoping Mr.Willy is right and will bring them some fresh snow. Personally, I doubt it. It's already February and the weather is really going to start warming up. Bummer!

Photo courtesy of The Vancouver Sun

I know this has nothing to do with health but I wanted to give a shout out to my home province. I am kind of sad that I won't be able to see any of the events as I'll still be in the Kootenays but I'm not sad that I don't have to fight for a parking space or pay $40+ for that space. If you are taking in the Olympics..very cool and hope you have a great time. And of course, GO CANADA GO!

No comments: